Neurology Had its moorings in Calcutta (now Kolkata) in as early as 1951 and the nuclious of the study of Neurology was laid at the Presidency General Hospital (now Seth Sukhlal Karmani Memorial Hospital), Calcutta in September 1952 with the opening of the first EEG department with a tour-channeled Grass machine Professor TK Ghosh, after this training in USA under the tutelage of DR. IS Wechsler and Dr. Hans Strauss was almost the natural choice to head of the department.
In February 1955, a combined Department of Neurology, comprising of Neuromedicne and Neurosurgery was opened at the PG Hospital, Calcutta and Dr. Herbert Krauss of the University of Vienna was invited to chair the post Director and Professor of the newly formed department. Professor and Dr. Ashok Bagchi, fresh from Vienna, as Lecturer. In 1958, Dr. RN Roy, after his training under the Legendry Professor Jacob Chandy of Christian Medical College, Vellor, joined the department of Neurosurgery, closely followed by Dr. M Bhattacharyya in Neuromedicine Dr. A Chakraborty in Psychiatry. In 1966, the combined Department of the Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research and SSKM Hospital was split in two independent Departments, viz. Departments of Neuromedicine and Neurosurgery.
Bangur institute of Neurology (BIN), Calcutta was founded in 1970 in a newly constructed two- storied building with twenty indoor bed facilities , sanctioned by the Government of West Bengal as an institution for postgraduate teaching and research in different disciplines of the specially of Neurological sciences. Ignored to extend the facilities further, administrative approval was accorded in November 1971 to the construction of two additional floors over the existing two-stored structure. Construction was completed and 70 beds started functioning in 1975. Former teachers in Neuromedicine and Neurosurgery departments of IPGME&R were posted at BIN, although they continued to provide patient care ex-officio basis at IPGME&R and SSKM hospital.
BINP has been only institute in Eastern India that could impart training and teaching in neurosciences leading to higher degrees in super-specialties, like DM and MCh in Neuromedicine and Neurosurgery, respectively, which has been recognized by the Medical Council of India and Government of India. Initially the academic staff of the institute used to look after the patients admitted at the BIN and only few posts of Resident Medical Officers were sanctioned for the Departments. The overall supervision was undertaken by by the academic staff of the respective Departments at IPGME&R, until in October 1979 when with sincere effort of Prof. R N Roy, the Government sanctioned a full-fledged teaching setup for BIN . The Institute has grown with the passage of the and newer facilities has been created in the form of increasing the number of teachers and others to bring the status of the Institute of the art center of excellence. In the year of 1983 the CI scan machine was installed. The facility for digital Subtraction Angiogram (DSA) was provided in the department Neuroradiology with all the equipments available at the department of Cardiology of SSKM Hospital. In the year of 200 the Institute was provided with the 1.5 Tesla MRI machine. The machine has all modern facilities like MR spectroscopy, MR angiogram, MRCP, functional MRI (IMRI), besides conventional MR imaging. A modern spiral CT angiography to help diagnosing neurovascular and cardiovascular diseases more easily and noninvasively. The Institute was upgraded from time to time as was tell necessary by the Government to reach the present state. T o meet the increasing demands, a new five-stoned building was constructed and became operational from May 2002.
Inception of this institute dates back to the year 1817 that makes it the 3rd oldest mental hospital in undivided India Initially it started as a privately owned mental care establishment and was known as European Lunatic asylum” primarily catering to the needs of European nationals only with a capacity of 50-60 beds. In 1856, it was taken over by the East India Company (under the guidance of Lord Dalhousie). Later on in 1922 it was handed over to British Bengal Government and got its new name “Bhowanipur Mental Observation ward “ (MOW) in 1924.
In 1950, the then chief Minister of West Bengal, Dr. B.C. Roy upgraded it to full-fledged Mental Hospital catering 30 patients.
In 1963, Dr Ajita Chakraborty started fthe first outpatient clinic twice a week in the afternoon. In they year 1970 the state government (vide G.O.No. H -5/2791/91/21-39/70 dt. 12/08/70) ordered the formation of Psychiatric unit under the Department of Medicine, IPGME&R in 1988 the MOW was declared by the state Government as the teaching, training and research wing of the Department of Psychiatry, IPGME&R. In 1988 the MOW was declared by the state Government as the teaching, training and research wing of the Department of Psychiatry, IPGME&R be made Ex-officio Superintendent of the Hospital.
Further, the MOW was identified by the Government as the Nodal Center for United Nations Fund of Drug Abuse Control, Government of India (vide or der No. H/MS/1913/6M-16/88, dated 18/9/89).
In 1990, MOW was upgraded to a teaching institute buy the state Government (vide order No. H/MA/140/JS-11/90, dated 25/05/90). Thereafter, postgraduate students in Psychiatry courses (both MD and DPM) under the University of Calcutta were placed in MOW for clinical training Besides, students of B.Sc. Nursing of College of Nursing 9C.U) and General Nursing of alternet state Medical Colleges got posting for training in Psychiatric Nursing in MOW.
In 1991,the MOW was renamed as institute of Psychiatry by a Govt. order NO. H/Ma/44/H/B-mental 25/90 stated 09.01.91)
In the subsequent years till date a series of civil constructions along with renovation work took place for the benefit for public care at large (institute Auditorium, new OPD extension, indoor Expansion and the new building, lecture theatre, etc.)
Lastly, not known to many is the fact that the structural tacade of the 189 years old mental hospital exhibiting typical British architecture is so captivating and charming that it prompted a famous artist like Sri Rathin Miyra to draw inspiration and make a remarkable sketch in the known of the prestigious institute which is a landmark in the South Calcutta and warrants a heritage status.